[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

Ronan Ducluzeau aka "zeauro" zeauron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 12:36:43 CEST 2013

I think that Ton should be conscious that people don' t really know how
to use BGE.
Serious ressources about BGE like mike pan's files are 2.5 .blends.
You have to find a complex project to understand the meaning of states
in logic editor.
Yo!Frankie is outdated. There are few games that can demonstrate that.
But if no major informative sites like wiki or BA points to them; you
have to hope that a kind expert of BGE answer your question.
Often on forums, we see a guy that want to update Yo!Frankie to 2.6.
It takes much more time and effort to produce .blends with game
interaction rather than a modeling or a Cycles tutorial.
Since 2.5 development, there are rumors telling that devs will drop
completely BGE.
So, new incomers who are triyng it are really warriors.
Let them time to produce content.
I know a guy who was making games with 2.49 and directly passed to unity
without testing BGE navigation mesh.
A month ago, during an afternoon, we tried it and character type; we had
a lot of funs, some difficulties with animation of linked characters. He
found charater jump great.
He was amazed when I talked to him about BGUI. He never heard about that.
It is not because features are discussed and developped during months on
dev-mailing list or irc that users will automatic be conscious at
official release that it exists. They finish their 6_8 months project
with the same release that was used to begin it. Then, they read release
logs of the last version and ignore release logs in between.
The discussion around BGE could turn like stupid interface threads where
people who use unity or other engines are numerically proeminent and
will ask to re-invent what is already there.

I have also a lot of doubts about the "3 series period".
I made a book on 2.63 (Bmesh).
Somebody asked me to make a demonstration about "blender for 3D
printing" before 2.67 release.
So, I showed 2.67 printing tools with a build of the day instead of
offficial 2.66, explaining that tools would be quickly available.
And a guy asked to me why I based my book on 2.63 instead of 2.62.
It was the version in packages of his linux distribution.
Do you really think that people will understand the purpose of these
series ?
They will download what seems to be the last version 2.8 and then
complain :"blender sucks because there is no documentation and no
ressources about this release."
And when people will go on forums to find a specific feature; the answer
will be :
"_Try the last 2.7 unstable release. All basic functions are bugguy but
this specific feature is far better than in 2.6 and does not exist yet
in experimental 2.8.
_Finally, I prefer to wait 3.0 to test blender."
I think that you can give a special cool name to the serie like
BlenderGTX 1 to BlenderGTX 20 without the error of communication to name
it 2.8X.