[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

Daniel Stokes kupomail at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:00:23 CEST 2013

I would like to know more about what Ton means by the line "What should
then be dropped is the idea to make Blender have an embedded “true” game
engine" from the blog post.

What exactly is proposed to be dropped here? It looks to me all that is
proposed to be dropped is an idea, changing the focus of the game engine to
make it better at what it can do rather than making it a clone of other
game engine/game editors. Are we actually talking about removing features
and/or the ability to publish a game? The blog post mentions creating "3D
interaction for walkthroughs, for scientific sims, or game prototypes".
This can still make use of existing code/features as well as the ability to
publish and distribute these creations.

As a BGE developer I have often considered a closer integration of the BGE
and the rest of Blender for their mutual benefit. At its simplest, closer
integration means better viewport visualization, and more maintained code
for the BGE. Stronger integration yields even more interesting ideas as Ton
outlines in the blog post. As I said in my original response, this sounds
like a great idea as long as those three conditions (mostly we aren't
losing a lot of functionality for current BGE users) are met.

As to the idea of me changing GSoC projects, I am not entirely against it,
but I would like to better understand both Ton's proposal and the potential
new project before jumping ship to a vague/undefined project.

Regards,
Daniel Stokes