[Bf-committers] Blender Center of Mass - Voxel data better algorithm?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Jun 16 05:38:58 CEST 2013

Indeed, you can compute the exact volume of a closed triangle mesh by
summing signed volumes of tetrahedra. The tessellation doesn't even
need to be any good, you can just use one tetrahedron for each
triangle, constructed from the triangle vertices and one other fixed
point (typically the origin).
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1406029/how-to-calculate-the-volume-of-a-3d-mesh-object-the-surface-of-which-is-made-up

By summing the centers of mass of these tetrahedra, weighted by the
signed volume, then I guess you get the center of mass of the whole
mesh too? I didn't check the math but intuitively it makes sense to
me.

This algorithm does require the mesh to be closed. For non-closed
meshes the fixed point could perhaps be the center of mass as computed
now, that might give a reasonable approximation.