[Bf-committers] Blender Center of Mass - Voxel data better algorithm?

Joel Godin joelgodin at ymail.com
Sun Jun 16 00:17:31 CEST 2013

Center of Mass is important for 3D printing if you want your item balanced.
Blender's Origin to Center of Mass algorithm is at worst case 8% off.
Worst case is a cone since the present algorithm seems to be vertice weighted.
CoM of a cone with 4 vertices at base is 0.5m (on a scale of 2m height) which is right for a cone with CoM formula   CoM = 1/4h
but not right for a pyramid.  A cone of 2048 vertices should be
closer to the correct CoM but it is .4606 (on a 2m height) or almost 8% off.

My question is, without trying to reinvent the wheel, can we somehow use the Voxel dataset to determine Center of Mass
more precisely than vertices?
The formula should be simple if so;
CoM Coordinates:
Y = Avg all Y coordinates