[Bf-committers] Materials Library for Blender

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Jun 15 15:29:30 CEST 2013

Hi,

I don't know if Blender should include a material library in the
download, will leave that to others to discuss. But perhaps it makes
sense to support loading from an online library really well? With
local caching so that it's quick. Then you don't have to worry about
download size and can extend this to other types of assets too.

But regarding the implementation, I strongly suggest to do this .blend
file based. With XML file formats you have to keep them in sync to
support all Blender features, and when the data structures change you
would need to do conversion, etc. But it also makes sense to design
this in a way that it can be extended to a generic asset system that
can also handle meshes, worlds, brushes, textures, lamps, .. in the
future.

Maybe it will need some extra work at the start since you already have
a working XML system, but I think that in the long run a .blend based
system will be easier to maintain. We have a file format to store
Blender data, so we should use that instead of inventing new ones.

Brecht.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Brendon Murphy