[Bf-committers] Please turn off Auto Run Python Scripts by default

Garrett Williams questo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 12:05:16 CEST 2013

How about a script that automatically checks each script in the .blend when
it opens, before auto-running scripts... but it ONLY pops up an alert if it
detects suspicious code, any specific functions that wouldn't normally be
needed in a .blend file or stand a good chance of messing things up.
Hopefully it won't slow things down, and it can be easy to turn off.
The key is fewer alerts so it's not as ignored, while also being automatic.
If it detects something that warrants investigation, it can tell the user
something like, "This script has the ability to control other programs(or
send email, or delete files). Here is the code that does this. If this is
not a function you expect, click here to deactivate it.". Something not too
alarming in case it's nothing. More positive matches would outright be
blocked.

This will of course miss some things, especially early on(if there's
anything to miss), but it'll catch more than what's caught now, especially
anything obvious-but-buried-under-600-lines-of-code.

I have a particular interest in security because I'm working on a variation
of Blender that's specifically for presentations(using the game engine), and
if Blender is being used like Powerpoint, it's likely to get malware like
Powerpoint. I'm glad that this conversation is happening, and there might be
some ideas that wouldn't work well for Blender but will be perfect for a
more single-purpose program that doesn't need as much flexibility.
More info on the presentation software is at http://blendshow.com (just to
prevent questions that would bring this thread off-topic)