[Bf-committers] Module Owner teams - proposal to extend & formalize it more

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 00:05:40 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Tom M <letterrip at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My whole point is that it would be good as a user to get more feedback
>> about ideas. Do all the devs read funboard??
>
> Probably most do, but - every dev likely has a 'todo list' that will
> last them for the next couple of years.
>
> So, unless it is something that the dev will prioritize for themselves
> as something more important than their current todo list, it isn't too
> likely to get looked at.
>
> LetterRip

I am sure you are correct about that, but that also means that a lot
of good ideas get lost in the static and a lot of users end up not
feeling heard.
We also have lost a lot of old good things like automatic color naming
from 2.4. I am sure these small but nice things get lost for about the
same reason.

I also wanted to point out a problem that I found last month. The
Bevel tool was changed. The dev did some really good  work and changed
it so that it worked as most users expected it too. Problem was that
in so doing he broke a really good tutorial and upset a lot of users.

These users are all waiting for the old way to come back so that they
can get back to doing the great work that bevel used to do for them.
All these users are stuck using 2.64 while they wait. The problem was
that the dev did not even know that these users were upset with the
change. He had no idea until I pointed it out. It is now on his todo
list and not in first place.

The dev was great about the problem and I know he will get to it. My
fear is that later might mean next year. The problem that needs to be
fixed is this lack of communication between the users and the devs. I
am not sure how to fix this. I do my best to keep my eyes open and
report back here but I don't have that much time. I am open to ideas
about how this can be fixed.

I hope I am not getting to off the thread topic.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: