[Bf-committers] Please turn off Auto Run Python Scripts by default

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Jun 11 12:49:25 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> - Asking to reload a file is OK, but what if you haven't saved the
> file? (eg, you load a new file and append an object with a driver).
>   Currently the reload button is just removed in this case and you can
> only choose to ignore the warning.

I think this message should disappear as soon as you do any operation,
same as other messages from operator. Then it can be ignored it
without having to do anything.

The red (X) button also looks more "threatening" than the reload
button to me. Further I think the message should be changed, "Script
failed to auto-run" makes it sound like it actually tried to run the
script but there was some error? I suggest:

[ (i) Auto-run script 'some_script.py' disabled | Reload Trusted | Ignore ]

It would also be nice if this could follow the same styling as operator reports.

> Note, many reasonable suggestions have been made in this thread, but
> at this point I don't think its useful to reply to all.
>
> Next Ill check on ways for users to selectively trust blend files for
> their own projects so this behavior isn't annoying users.

Perhaps what we could do is store a list of .blend file hashes that
were trusted or created by the user somewhere.

Brecht.