[Bf-committers] Please turn off Auto Run Python Scripts by default

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 09:37:38 CEST 2013

>> Sure, not everyone's a programmer that can inspect the scripts, but at some point I feel the responsibility lies with the users and with the sites offering the .blends to inform them of potential dangers, and not so much with the BF trying to create a super-safe environment. Super-safe in this case translating to crippled or unusable for some.
>
> I think you under estimate how easy it is to hide code in a blend
> file, at the risk of giving people bad ideas...

I like a lock on a door with windows all over the house, adding some
code to blender to stop viruses will never be perfect but it will stop
the neighborhood kid from breaking in. Just knowing that blender has
some protection will slow down most virus attacks or stop them from
ever even trying. We will never be able to stop governments or other
pros from attacking the program but that does not mean we should not
lock the door.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!