[Bf-committers] Blender build with debug symbol

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 22:54:49 CEST 2013

This is it for certain, and as has been documented already in our building
docs, (see second paragraph here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/MinGW/CMake)
you need gcc 4.6.x. At some point we will eventually switch to a newer
version but since this will require recompiling all libraries it will take
some time. I would recommend waiting for the gcc 4.8 version at least to
come out, because it will include a new exception model for c++ breaking
compatibility again.

You can have two versions of MinGW on the same computer but it can get
messy since we rely on dlls of the compiler, so I wouldn't recommend it
unless you are really careful about what you are doing (copying the proper
dlls from MinGW/bin folder each time)

For the packages:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/mingw-get-inst/

should have 4.6 if you don't get the latest repository but download the
pre-packaged one instead.