[Bf-committers] Please turn off Auto Run Python Scripts by default

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Jun 8 15:19:46 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
>> Limiting module access is just really hard to do... <snip>
>> unless you remove the functionality altogether.
>
> Just in theory then: so we can make a (static linked) Python interpreter without any modules, and not allowing to load any other module or C compliled component? Just the smallest Py interpreter possible?
>
> Next step: we can make it run all our bpy commands fine? So, we can draw almost all of the UI with it, run Cyles, and we can use it for autorun scripts and even some add-ons.
>
> It would still be a "cripple" Blender from a scripter p.o.v, but for the basics of Blender usage it would be a functional tool already.

I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing, what about Python
code that needs to run unrestricted? The unrestricted and restricted
code need to share many Python objects for UI, utility functions, etc.
But once they share those the restricted code becomes unrestricted due
to the way Python works.

Brecht.