[Bf-committers] Please turn off Auto Run Python Scripts by default

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Sat Jun 8 11:41:27 CEST 2013

Maybe you can put security aside for a moment and first
look at this topic from the information perspective:

Wouldn't it be nice to get informed whenever a .blend file
contains scripts ? That could be simply a python icon next
to the blender icon in the main menu header for example.
This could raise attention already and make users aware of
scripted blend files.

Now in in the next step take security into account:

The python icon could get 2 states (active,inactive).
It could be directly connected to the "Auto run Scripts"
option in the  user properties. So:

- if blend file contains no scripts:
   Icon is invisible, or greyed out

otherwise:

- if "Auto run Scripts" enabled:
   Icon is set to "active"
   no state change possible

- if "Auto run Scripts" disabled:
   Icon is set to "inactive" on load
   state change to "active" possible

It would be nice if a state change from "inactive" to "active"
does NOT reload the blend file, because otherwise we might loose
work when the file has been edited in the mean time.

cheers,
Gaia