[Bf-committers] Adding Separate Wireframe Color for Edit Mode

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 06:27:09 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Jonathan Williamson
<jonathan at cgcookie.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, and specifically Ton :)
>
> I spoke with Campbell on IRC about this, and he just said I need to
> convince you, Ton.

Hah - caught trying to avoid long discussions about defaults, but
looks like that didn't work :)

This minor tweak seems reasonable in the example you displayed but
sometimes small changes like this end up in arguments I rather not
have on other peoples behalf unless I feel very strongly about it.

Wire-color is one of those things that take little effort to change
but we dont just makes changes here lightly.

Hot on heels of security discussion and planning to take it easy this
weekend, hope you see where I'm coming from.

> I would like to push for adding a new theme option for mesh wireframes in
> Edit Mode. The reason for this is during retopology, when working on dense
> meshes (such as a dynamic topology sculpt) distinguishing between the
> original form and the retopo form becomes quite difficult.
>
> For example, take a look at this screenshot: http://cl.ly/PWyr
>
> It's easy to the see the vertices, the edges are quite difficult to see,
> particularly while rotating around the model.
>
> Ideally, it'd be great to have full control over wireframe colors, on a per
> object basis. However, Campbell mentioned that is a much larger
> undertaking, and so for now having the theme option would be a good
> compromise.
>
> Thoughts?

What worries me a bit about this after thinking on it longer, is that
you propose to use a theme color to better enable an editing feature
(retopo).

I would assume that the default theme for wire stays as-is, so then
you expect users to know to go and change a theme color for retopo to
work best.

The ability to have such workarounds is OK but it would be better to
have this working well by default if possible.

An obvious solution to help distinguish objects in wireframe+editmode
is to have non-editmode objects use some reduced wire tone
(wire+background 50% mix for eg).
likely causes other issues too, even so could be worth testing.

... or just change default theme colors using a newly added option can work too.

> Jonathan Williamson
> http://cgcookie.com

- Campbell