[Bf-committers] Please turn off Auto Run Python Scripts by default

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jun 5 13:24:03 CEST 2013

Hi,

I've checked some history of past discussions (including sandboxing Python) and to me it seems we still accept too much risk here. As a team (and for me as Blender Foundation chairman) I feel it's a big responsibility to not waive away so easily.

More over - it's a disaster waiting to be happening one day. It would be unforgivable if we didn't at least help users to have a basic security in place.

The discussion is also getting too much complicated by knowledgable people who point out that there's always another vulnerability or other methods to bypass any security feature. IMHO that's irrelevant, should never be a reason to ignore it altogether.

We should be able to bring down this topic to a basic and sensible minimal protection we provide for users.

Can we form some kindof workgroup to investigate it further and define a proposal for actions? Or a roadmap?

And: is there a consensis to make the default startup install have 'autorun' disabled, with a notifier in the top header about it?

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute