[Bf-committers] massive cuda speed improvements with Cuda 5.0/5.5

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Mon Jun 3 23:09:19 CEST 2013

Hi Jürgen,
Am 03.06.2013 20:46, schrieb Jürgen Herrmann:
> -          “--opencc-options “ is deprecated for sm_20 and up and should be
> removed from compiler options
This option should not be harmful, we just kept it in for sm_1x
architecture. Although I am not sure if sm_1x still builds at all, we
dropped official support for it with Blender 2.67, so probably can be
removed.
> -          Stating “-O3” and “—use_fast_math” as nvcc options brings massive
> speedup on my system (more below)
We cannot use fast math everywhere, I remember that Brecht changed the
code to only use fast math functions selectively, to avoid some
precision problems.
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=47133
But that could not be valid with Toolkit 5.x anymore, needs further tests.

> -          We shouldn’t complain about new cuda toolsets that are slow, we
> should find a solution as we can’t use old software forever…

True, but still it's sad that an upgrade causes all those problems. :)

Thanks for testing!

Thomas

--
Thomas Dinges