[Bf-committers] massive cuda speed improvements with Cuda 5.0/5.5

Jürgen Herrmann shadowrom at me.com
Mon Jun 3 20:46:59 CEST 2013

Hi there,

I did some tests with cuda 5.0 and 5.5 today and changed the nvcc
optimization flags for cycles_kernel_cuda.

I found out the following:

-          “--opencc-options “ is deprecated for sm_20 and up and should be
removed from compiler options

-          Stating “-O3” and “—use_fast_math” as nvcc options brings massive
speedup on my system (more below)

-          We shouldn’t complain about new cuda toolsets that are slow, we
should find a solution as we can’t use old software forever

To the speedups:

Example 1:

system: i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz, GeForce GTK 660

Blender (cycles_cuda_kernel) compiled with standard settings:

Mike_pan file took 02:06.60 to render

Blender (cycles_cuda_kernel) compiled with –O3 –use-fast-math:

Mike_pan took 01:39:93

There is no optical difference in the render results:

Image1: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/52757

Image2: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/52758

I bet there’s more potential in there.

/Jürgen