[Bf-committers] Avoiding regressions, changes to the release cycle.

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Jul 30 17:36:15 CEST 2013

Hi Ton,

To me the problem seems to be exactly that people are focusing on
stabilizing right up until the release. We get 100 bugfixes in those
last weeks, and some of those fixes will inevitably break something
else. If we want things to be tested well we need to freeze the code
for a while except for a few critical fixes, otherwise there is no
time for users to actually test them.

If you look at the bugs that required a and b releases they were often
introduced by late bugfixes. I'd love to see more people help out with
bug fixing of course and this will help with Blender stability
overall, but I don't think it would avoid this particular problem, it
might make things worse actually if they all start doing that in the
last two weeks without a proper freeze period.

Further I don't think the code in branches not getting tested is a
problem in practice, what's in the branch is a snapshot of trunk and
the bugs in the branch will also be in trunk, except for things which
were accidentally fixed there, but I think that's rare.

Brecht.