[Bf-committers] sculpt mode wireframe display issue and question

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 23:31:33 CEST 2013

Talked to artists and the way to go here is to draw all edges in sculpt
mode (both dynamic and non-dynamic topology).Meaning you'll just need to
change a way how non-dynamic topology edges are displaying in sculpt mode.

If you're gonna to make more changes about how things are displaying, i
could only highlight three points:
- Would rather have patch which draws all edges in sculpt mode commited
separately.
- Making more global changes could harm ongoing viewport draw changes GSoC
project.
- Need to use feedback from module-owner-artists. Making UI change decision
relying on feedback only from this ML could easily lead to not so much
correct decisions.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In 2.49, multiresolution was not a modifier. The feature was lost while
> > 2.5 interface changes when multi-resolution became a modifier.
>

> I see. Just glancing at it, it looks like "optimal display" marks edges for
> display which correspond to level-0 edges. I don't see why the same
> technique couldn't work to revive the "edges:#" feature from 2.49, but I'll
> have to dig a little deeper to see if I'm understanding this correctly.
>

> > Yes , it is desirable to have it little more subtile but not too much.
> > It should still show wireframe more obvious than just a flat shading.
> >

> My proposal is to use the same alpha-white lines as weight paint mode....
> You can see the difference here..
>
>    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=56387
>
> I think it's more subtle, and shows up clearly in more situations. It
> becomes invisible with a pure-white object, just as the current orange
> selection color becomes invisible with a selection-color object.
>
> If this is preferred, I think the right thing to do is make this an
> additional theme-color (sculpt-mode-wireframe). Weight paint doesn't theme
> this white-alpha color, but it knows what color the weight paint surfaces
> will be underneath.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin