[Bf-committers] Bug reporter: add help page for "Status" ? And more small cleanups ...

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:12:01 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> Hi;
> I have some issues with the bug tracker and i believe this
> is something that can be cleaned up with no effort (i hope...)
>
> *  What do these Status entries mean ?
>     "Incomplete"

This means the report doesn't have enough information for a developer
to verify its a bug.

>     "Closed" (actually: Why do we have 5 different Closed states ?)

This is so its a bit more clear why the bug is closed, Users may spend
a lot of time to report a bug, so Fixed/Closed, Todo/Closed,
Rejected/Closed, WontFix/Closed, all have quite different meanings -
and anyone can see at a glance why its closed.

>     "Ready"

This is to be used when a fix is ready but hasn't been committed
(perhaps because of feature freeze or its awaiting feedback from the
maintainer).

>     All other entries make sense to me, but these 3
>     i do not understand.
>
> *  What about adding a brief documentation for the Status field ?
>     To explain what the different status entries mean ?
>
> *  Why is Status "Confirmed" not considered as an Open Bug report?
>     So maybe "Confirmed" might also need a clarification ?
>     Or is the public "Open Bugs" query just wrong ?

Just checked and `Confirmed` has status open, there is some strange
problems with bugtracker list display though, IIRC - not displaying
some fields when not logged in.

> *  The Priority help page is not helpful.
>     So what priority do i give to bugs ?
>     I always set them to 3 (i keep hands away from that).
>     So what is it good for ?can it be removed ?

Apparently removing fields gives problems with the database.

> *  The "Assigned To" and "Summary" Help pages are a joke, are they ?
>     Can't these help pages be removed ?

I checked in the tracker admin and can't find where to access this
text for editing, agree it should be improved.

> -gaia-

- Campbell