[Bf-committers] Color management broken?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 22:14:38 CEST 2013

As a wise man said: go deeper!

The actual issue is not about being unable to apply any sort of color
transform when saving float buffer (which you shouldn't do btw in properly
set pipeline). The root of the issue goes to the fact, that renderer always
outputs stuff in rec709 space (or in your language it'll be linear space
with rec709 primaries). And this is what need to be solved, so renderer
will also work in actual scene linear space.

Once it's done you'll just make it so all the software involved into your
pipeline uses the same scene linear space, same primaries and so and so on.
Saving will go naturally fine without requiring any kind of extra color
space conversions.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Andrew Hunter <andrew at aehunter.net> wrote:

> Deep compositing in Nuke in ACES.
> On Jul 9, 2013 11:22 AM, "François T." <francoistarlier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes I do agree, but I don't see why the transformation would happen at
> the
> > EXR render. do you have a case ?
> >

> > 2013/7/9 Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com>

> > > like
> linear,
> The
> > >
> > > "Linear" is not a color space. There is more to a color space than the
> > > transfer / tone response curve.
> > >
> > > We could go into the details as to how to keep an EXR linear, but it
> > would
> > > cascade into complexity. Banishing all color transforms on a file
> format
> > is
> > > problematic.
> > >
> > > The bottom line is that it currently is impossible to shift the
> primaries
> > > of an EXR in any way.
> > >
> > > With respect,
> > > TJS