[Bf-committers] Color management broken?

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 15:18:46 CEST 2013

On Jul 9, 2013 5:48 AM, "François T." <francoistarlier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Troy, I'm not quite sure to understand what you are asking. You would like
> the color transform "baked-in" EXR ? IMO, exr should always be linear,
> especially if you have to move it around other parts of a pipeline. The
> ability to baked transform into a LUT seems more reasonable no ?

"Linear" is not a color space. There is more to a color space than the
transfer / tone response curve.

We could go into the details as to how to keep an EXR linear, but it would
cascade into complexity. Banishing all color transforms on a file format is
problematic.

The bottom line is that it currently is impossible to shift the primaries
of an EXR in any way.

With respect,
TJS