[Bf-committers] Patch [#36028] New 4-column layout for the editor-type-selector menu...

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 06:36:44 CEST 2013

> Maybe something like this, with 2 columns:
> http://www.pasteall.org/43817
>
> Not saying this is ideal, but I think trying to fit everything in
> columns with a single title per column constraints things too much.

I think any of these non-flipping layouts would be a big improvement. The
reason I'm going wider is to keep the common views within mouse-reach when
menu opens "up". Below is a reachability comparison.  I think the
difference in everyday usability would be significant. (Keeping 3d-view
close is one of the justifications I hear for today's "flipping" menus)

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=55034

As for the headers, we could just drop them. They are not a very important
part of layout waypointing, memory, or everyday usability. They are mostly
for new-users to get some idea what the categories are. However, if there
isn't enough ontological correctness they confuse more than help.

What do you/folks think about this 3 column layout? .. with no headers

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=55036

It's the same as your ordering, except I put Node-Editor with the "main"
stuff on the left because I think the compositor is as good a "main view /
start-point" as the other things over there. (ignore the kind of nasty
extra space below "Editor Type".. it's a byproduct of the current menu code
and could be fixed)