[Bf-committers] Patch [#36028] New 4-column layout for the editor-type-selector menu...

Sean Olson seanolson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 16:27:12 CEST 2013

I think this has more to do with 'Location' Memory than it does to do with
'Reading' the entries.  So, we'll take the modifier list as an example.
 Being experienced blender users, you probably know right where the mirror
modifier entry is.  You probably open the menu and jump right to it or near
it without reading the entire menu from top left to bottom right.  Your
experience has taught you where it roughly is.

Now the main editors window is different - it's just a big list, you
essentially have to a) read it top to bottom or  b) do a binary search of
the list - Every single time.  It takes forever, even for experienced
artists (forever being 3 seconds instead of 1/4 of a second :-P)

On Categories - I'm not that particular at all - this might be more
important for new users exploring the program - I would like to emphasise
though that *more used* options should probable be closer to the left (and
nearer to the mouse) than less used options.

-Sean