[Bf-committers] Regarding the current usage of proportional edit

Hadrien Brissaud hadriscus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 20:11:37 CEST 2013

Hello all,

first thing : is it the right mailing list for tiny suggestions like this
one ? Please read on and tell me so I don't get it wrong. It is a usability
idea.

I often use proportional edit when modeling, however I sometimes use
"connected" and sometimes not, and I don't systematically remember which.
In the spur of the moment, I often happen to hit "o" or "alt+o" and find
myself toggling the other proportional edit mode, when I just want to turn
it off !

With the new "projected" mode this rather irritating issue embiggens, as
one would have to stumble between three modes and their corresponding
hotkeys before getting what they want. Hence this suggestion.

I suggest to make proportional edit a boolean, like snapping, and keep an
additional menu from which you could select the proportional edit type
(normal, connected, projected). "o" would toggle proportional edit on and
off, and alt+o or shift+o would switch between modes.

Thank you for your great work,

Hadrien