[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 21:21:55 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> > 1) Include opt-in usage and automatic crash reporting in *every* blender
> > build, and a web dashboard to live usage/crash stats to devs and the
> > community.
>
> I always wondered what other projects/companies do with such reports. Is
> there a public example where I can see the handling of such report logging,
> with evidence for how this is being used well, the benefits? Or is it just
> for statistics?

Billrey's blender blog recently posted a link to this old but excellent
talk on Firefox UI design, from 2011. At 38 minutes, it talks about their
Usage Statistics Heat Map, and how they used it to streamline the option
locations when redesigning menus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMDBwa4huUY#at=302

The whole talk is really worth watching.. it's both an interesting
visualization of some common UI design principles, and Firefox's approach
to enabling open-source innovation by establishing clear design-rules to
empower and enable more freedom within those design rules.