[Bf-committers] Minimal Blender specs - 5 year old systems & OS

Damir Prebeg blend.factory at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:21:04 CET 2013

By reading some great proposals I conclude that Blender should have a minim
requirement:

1. Quad Core
2. OpenGL 4.3 (pref mid to high nvdia quadro)
3. 8-16 GB memory
4....

And beside that maybe Blender should go in direction of Gnome 3, Unity and
Win8, and start hiding options from users. Who needs options, they are just
confusing people...

Come on guys, I understand that Blender can't support hardware and o.s.
indefinitely, but to say that we should drop support for WinXP while the
most users are still on it is IMHO wrong (and I'm Linux user)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any significant progress in
internal renderer so I suspect it would be abandoned soon. Then should we
drop support for CPU rendering since Cycles works the best on gpu of nvidia
cards?

In the end, I think Ton's proposal for minimum requirement is O.K., but to
drop Win XP that still works better then newer Redmond "viruses" is wrong.