[Bf-committers] Minimal Blender specs - 5 year old systems & OS

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jan 31 10:14:24 CET 2013

Hi,

Nobody of the active team suggested to stick to Nvidia. Blender should remain cross platform, as wide as possible.

I have the impression the crits here interpret my proposal far too negative. I tried to define it a positive step forward (for our future), and to come with a clear definition of what we should do minimal. A minimum spec doesn't mean we could still support more.

For any hardware or OS falling outside the minimal spec anyone can step in.
Just offer to maintain the platform's build system and make the releases.

Optionally some patches could be applied for it, or some newer modules/options won't get compiled in for the very ancient systems.

-Ton-