[Bf-committers] Minimal Blender specs - 5 year old systems & OS

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:45:04 CET 2013

I understand where you are coming from but we will have to update
Blenders minimum specs eventually as it will become harder and harder
for devs to maintain as hardware becomes unavailable to purchase after a
few years. Also we must remember that OpenGL has seen 9 updates since
2006 with many things becoming obsolete and moved over to software
support vs harddware acceleration, which is obviously much slower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

Low power does not always mean low performance and you can buy a
decently performing system for much less than $1k. All that would be
needed most likely is a new GPU every 3 or 4 years, which would be well
in the realms of Open GL 3.3 support...even cards that were released
almost 3 years ago support 4.3 and can be bought for under £50 and 560s
can be purchased for around £100.

I guess it comes down to whether we all want to hold Blender hostage
with legacy support or accept that increasing minimum specs will force
some users to upgrade. No other 3d program retains support for the same
length of time that Blender does and even 5 years is much more than most
3d software vendors support for, which is commendable for Blender, but
we need to be careful that it doesn't hinder Blenders performance or
stops devs adding features that only new(ish) hardware supports.

Maybe an optimised version for tablets would be an idea? A "Blender Lite"?

There is a good place to look for average hardware...The Steam Hardware
Survey. It lists the entire steam userbases hardware specs and would be
a good benchmark for getting the average specs of modern PCs.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Cheers,

-Andy