[Bf-committers] Minimal Blender specs - 5 year old systems & OS

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Tue Jan 29 15:06:00 CET 2013

IDK, I think a lot of users get hand-me-downs and there seems to be a trend
of lower power (energy efficient) computer being made these days. Not to
mention if blender ever gets fully ported to tablet-like devices.

It might be better to target OS versions rather than hardware specs since
computers haven't really advanced that much over the last five years other
than throwing more cores at the problem. Something produced five years ago
can still do 99% of what the average user needs and this target audience is
probably a lot bigger than the amount of people that can plunk $1k down on
a upscale box.

As an aside, both of my working computers (a netbook & 5+ year old laptop)
don't fall within these specs and aren't really good at *using* blender but
are still good for testing.

Dan