[Bf-committers] Code cleanup woes

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 23:16:05 CET 2013

This is a nice reason to stick with a well-defined and relatively
short release cycle. Code cleanups should not at all be forbidden, but
they should happen with other potentially destabilizing changes (like
branch merges) early in the cycle. The remainder of the release cycle
should then be focused solely on bug fixes.

Keeping to a consistent and short release schedule helps with this.
Devs get frustrated if they have to maintain code outside of trunk for
too long and start pushing to commit it (just one more change, just
add one more week to the schedule...), but this doesn't happen so much
if they know for sure that the next merge window will open up in e.g.
four weeks.

-Nicholas