[Bf-committers] Adding image format in the VSE

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 05:18:40 CET 2013

Hello,

I have a question about adding a format for creating VSE sequence.

I had a small look at the API, and see a way of doing, which I see is done
for similar plugins: converting to an intermediate format which is known to
Blender (png for instance, or whatever).

But is there a cleaner way to add format support to Blender? Hence making
Blender be able to understand directly the format, and not rely on
intermediate files that the user may not know about and which would clutter
the user directories?

For information, I have 2 separate projects for which I search this
information:

1/ I want to add support for GIMP XCF files. I know there is already a
plugin to import XCF files as 3D planes, but I want to add them as image
sequence directly in the VSE (1 layer, 1 image). And I wonder how I can do
this without converting my XCF into an intermediate sequence of png files
(I see the intermediate png method is what does the XCF import plugin for
instance).
Real XCF support in other words.

2/ I want to add some raw file support (like DNG), with demosaicing, and
all this (of course I know this one is a long shot, and good raw support
requires much more than just this, but you have to start somewhere).

In other words, is there an API to add new format support in Blender?
Thanks.

Jehan