[Bf-committers] Blender CAM initiative (as in CAD/CAM)

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Tue Jan 15 15:09:11 CET 2013

Hello,
I wanted to point (possibly interested) developers to the Blender Computer
Aided Machining - CAM addon.

It has a homepage here:

http://blendercam.blogspot.cz/p/blender-cam-description.html

It's currently purely Python on the side of Blender, and is using numpy and
Polygon python libraries.

It took me several months of work to get to a phase where I use the addon in
my personal artistic work for real machining.

Of course, the addon is GPL.

The reason for starting such initiative was that I didn't find any actually
well working opensource 3d CAM software

I am currently distributing the addon with Blender 2.64 builds - for the
simple reason that the used libraries won't run with Python 3.3 yet, only
3.2,

and I guess typical user won't be experienced with all the background stuff
to be able to compile the libraries self - That's also a reason not to
include the addon into blender repositories (yet), not to confuse users.

If anybody would be interested in joinging the development, these are the
tasks which would lead to increase in precision and performance,

especially when done in C and possibly exposed to the Python addon:

http://blendercam.blogspot.cz/p/todo.html

And I am also looking for testers  ;)

cheers

Vilem Novak