[Bf-committers] Color Correction Node - "Lift"

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:00:36 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Bartek Skorupa (priv)
<bartekskorupa at bartekskorupa.com> wrote:
> Conversion to sRBG inside the algorithm can be treated as one of the operations this node performs.
> If we don't call this "conversion to sRGB", but "primary adjustment" or whatever else - we don't anymore perceive it as a bug, don't you think?

I'd be confident calling this a bug largely because any assumptions of
color space, including transfer curve as in this instance, will often
lead to unintended consequences. Again too, the notion that a
conversion to sRGB transfer curve happens likely means the node is
fundamentally problematic in a scene referred paradigm.

> If it's left this way we would only have to change names of the operations.
> "Gain" should be called "Slope" and "Lift" should be called "offset".
> Then everybody who knows those terms simply don't get unexpected results.

Sure, the label might be improved, but "Offset + Slope" isn't likely handy.

There _is_ a correct gain as well as reference ASC CDL transforms
provided via OCIO, and perhaps we can more further integrate the API
into adjustments such as this example?

With respect,
TJS