[Bf-committers] Color Correction Node - "Lift"

Bartek Skorupa (priv) bartekskorupa at bartekskorupa.com
Fri Jan 11 19:31:22 CET 2013

I'd prefer it working like LIFT/GAMMA/GAIN does, but this is my personal taste.
In my opinion ASC CDL is rather not practical for working with colors. It's great to exchange grades between apps, but I simply don't feel it when grading.
The way "Color Correction" node works now is neither LIFT/GAMMA/GAIN nor ASC CDL.
It is "kind of" ASC CDL, but according to specs "power" should be used instead of "Gamma".
In fact "Gamma" in this case is nothing more than 1/power so maybe it could be left this way, especially that when increasing the value the artist expects colors to be brighter. This is how "Gamma" behaves in LIFT/GAMMA/GAIN.

If we all decide to leave the behavior as is - no problem for me, even though I'd opt for changing it.
The point of my thread here is to point out inconsistency between how the things work and what the names of operations are.

I did my tests just because I was surprised with the results when trying to use this node. I simply know what happens when I change "Lift" or "Gain" and when I changed the parameters that are called "Lift" or "Gain" in this particular node - the behavior was different.

If we decide to change the behavior - we lose backwards compatibility, so to make things easier - maybe just changing names of operations would be enough?
I would be more than happy if the behavior changes to proper LIFT/GAMMA/GAIN, but if it's left as is - fine, as long as the names say what they should.

Best Regards

Bartek Skorupa

www.bartekskorupa.com