[Bf-committers] Trackpad defaults & settings

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 6 19:31:55 CET 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to have a consistent handling in Blender for trackpad swipes (two finger scroll or pans). This supporting system settings for if you like it "natural" (like touchscreen) or "inversed" (the method most people are used to).

Problem is that some gestures are more absolute... like:

- view rotate (the inversed option just never feels ok)
- scroll active items in list or pulldown menu (up/down is absolute)
- trackpad pinch/stretch (inversed just never feels ok)
- ALT+scroll values in buttons (up/down is absolute)

Instead of trying to put a lot of user settings all over, I suggest to stick the following:

- Default remains "inversed", which allows the OS level "natural" to work
- Add a userpref "Natural" which inverses only the cases we have found to be absolute.

I've listed four cases already, are there more?

-Ton-

BTW:
We already have two options for how to map zooming. Inverting your 'natural scroll' on system level, also inverts this again... to make it easy :)