[Bf-committers] Simplified Header Stats (with icons)

CoDEmanX codemanx at gmx.de
Fri Jan 4 21:13:06 CET 2013

It shouldn't be a panel that generates stats on every redraw.

Campbell:

"Counting geometry on every redraw (from python), is just too slow and
will interfere with workflow on higher poly models.

Would suggest to have a tool that is more comprehensive and runs from
a menu/button rather then on every redraw.

This tool could show a popup reporting on the current mesh with
surface area, sorted by material - number of ngons, number of concave
ngons... number of manifold edges, free-standing verts, zero area
faces ... whatever.

Alternately - we could add tri/quad/ngons functionality into blender,
though the header is already quite crammed - just saying it could be
done in a way which isnt't performing slow."

Stats should be generated in a "lazy" manner, not sure how though. A
button for a stats popup seems like a good option. But could also be a
panel with a "Refresh" button...