[Bf-committers] Linux package maintainers

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 11:39:50 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes it's two clicks away from the frontpage, and google lists it as first entry.
> It's not about that we don't provide the data or don't communicate, it's about trying to bridge the gaps between our and their communities.
>
> Blender users/devs here who are using Gentoo, Archlinux, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc could reach out and give some help. That's all :)
>
> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
> Blender Institute   Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam   The Netherlands
>
> On 3 Jan, 2013, at 3:44, Diego H. Borghetti wrote:
>
>> And the link:
>>
>> http://www.blender.org/download/source-code/
>>
>> Just go to www.blender.org -> Download Blender and then click on "Source Code".
>>> From that page you also can access all the others versions.
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:43:57 -0700
>> Dan Eicher <dan at trollwerks.org> wrote:

>>> Wait, so what's the issue again?
>>>
>>> ...though perhaps there should be a link from the 'Download Blender' page
>>> because if you clink that link and it's not there then it must not exist.
>>>
>>> The only other arch complaint I see is about the letter suffixes (which do
>>> indeed wreck havoc on packaging systems) but that was discussed in depth
>>> previously.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>

>> --
>>                       Diego

IIRC we were sometimes a week or more late at making the source
tarball, a few times I did this and it was normally when someone
complained it was missing.
Probably the release was announced and a package maintained just
expected the source to be available.

Though I think we've been better with this in the past 1-2 years.

--
- Campbell