[Bf-committers] Simplified Header Stats (with icons)

CoDEmanX codemanx at gmx.de
Wed Jan 2 19:31:19 CET 2013

Am 23.12.2012 19:30, schrieb Tobias Oelgarte:

> I see this number every time in the
> splash screen, but more importantly i usually need to know the revision
> number instead of the version number.

I bet most people don't care at all, some do care the version number as
they wanna follow a tutorial with the same blender version, but only a
few need the revision number and you can find it in the splash screen.
I'd keep it like it is.

> If we want to be consistent, following your guideline, then we should
> remove this icon as well. I know it is the famous blender icon... :P

No, it performs an action -> opens the splash screen. Seems consistent
to me. And the icon makes the following version number understandable!

> Considering the overall design, i have to say that anything goes, as
> long it does not stand out or conflicts heavily with the rest of an
> interface. I for my part would really like to get rid of this hard to
> read text line and would not consider stats as buttons as long they have
> no button-border or react to the mouse while hovering over them.

I like Gaia's Stats Flyout proposal, as the stats info header becomes
interactive (action on click). Doesn't have to be a flyout, I think i'd
rather make it call a yet-to-code stats addon which would show a popup
with detailed stats incl. icons

The stats header could stay text-only, but with spaces instead of | and
everybody should be happy ;)

Or make "showText" and "showIcon" user pref options (as proposed by
Harley), would give full freedom.