[Bf-committers] Static source code analysis (for fun and profit)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 03:31:55 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM, John Smith <lbalbalba at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Just for fun, I decided to run the llvm/clang static source code
> analyzer (see: http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/) on blender. For those
> interested, the results can be found here :
>
> http://lbalbalba.x90x.net/clang-analyzer/blender/
>

> Regards,
>

> John Smith.

Hi John,

We have clang-static checker running continuously on blender-trunk
with clang/llvm-trunk and we've been over most (all?) of the reports,
so now I only check for changes in the error output.

See:
http://clang.blenderheads.org/trunk/

Where possible its good to quiet these reports but I think we did most
of that already and now they are pretty much all false-positives, at
least they don't end up causing bugs users ever experience (for eg.
the situation when a face has zero verts).

As for other static checkers:
You can run 'make help' you can see there are some utility 'check_'
targets, I find cppcheck and smatch give useful info too.

- Campbell