[Bf-committers] Rigify addon causes error, error, error,....

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Tue Feb 26 18:55:31 CET 2013

>> Consider, for example, someone having two different
>> versions of an external renderer installed, and they want to be able
>> to use either/or in different projects (maybe one is more stable, but
>> the other has more features).  I think there are meaningful use-cases
>> outside of Rigify and the current situation.
>
> Agree, did you check on adding support for this?
> if you wanted some help investigating ways to implement we could
> continue discussion on bf-python.

Sounds good.  And yeah, I'd be happy to attempt to tackle this after
some discussion. :-)

>> This is a use-case that should be better supported anyway, IMHO.
>
> Not sure how we would better support this - you can install an addon
> from a zipfile, that parts fairly straightforward.

I meant better supporting multiple different co-installed versions of
an addon, as per my example of external renderers.

> Whats inconvenient about maintaining an addon in svn?

The situation that just came up is a good example: doing contract work
on the addon during pre-release freeze.  It puts me in the position of
having to choose between two bad options: committing significant
changes during pre-release freeze, or doing major work without the
safety (and documentation) of incremental commits.  Having a separate
development repo (as I'm doing on github now) is a good way around
this, though.

Also, collaborating with others who are also doing significant
development work on it.  Emailing patches back and forth isn't so
nice, and you lose good commit logs that way.  DVCS makes this much
nicer.  Again, using github or similar for unstable development works
well to resolve this.  It's easy for people to branch and share work.
In short, by hosting with DVCS, I get the benefits of DVCS.

Finally, addons are still very poorly supported in the Blender bug
tracker, with one mega-issue assigned to each.  Granted, this is not
related to SVN per se.  But I've been annoyed by this for quite some
time, and I'm _very_ keen to skirt around it until it is addressed.
By hosting somewhere else I can point people to the tracker there (in
this case on github) and I then have proper bug/issue/todo tracking
for Rigify.

> So if you can keep whats in trunk stable, maintained and update fixes
> for release, this works, I just want to avoid fragmentation.

I don't think that will be a problem.  I'll consider the Rigify in SVN
the official supported stable version, and I'll backport bug fixes
etc.

--Nathan