[Bf-committers] "make install" with only the relevant files?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:53:58 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM,  <gonderici at plecxus.com> wrote:
>> When I compile and install(via make install) after some changes, it
>> seems like "make" is copying everything from scratch to the install
>> location. Does anyone know a way to make it copy/update only the newly
>> changes files in a way? It does not take a long time, but it would be
>> nice if I can cut down on this copying deleting, since I mostly use my
>> laptop for developing and cutting the battery usage is helpful.
>
> I'm not sure if there is a solution to make it only update files,
> probably cmake does not support it. I rarely need to run "make
> install" though, for C/C++ code changes to the Blender binary it's not
> needed, and for python scripts you can make a symlink to the scripts
> directory. Only after svn updates or full rebuilds usually.
>
>> I do not do much "make clean", since I iterate like everyone else. I
>> make my changes then use mingw32-make to compile and then install.
>>
>> I used Cmake to create the mingw make files and the project under Win64.
>
> Some other tips for faster rebuilds are to disable WITH_BUILDINFO, use
> more threads than cores, and to try the ninja build system instead of
> make.
>
> Brecht.

Make install is probably copying many files each time because its
extracting python (windows, osx do this) so it can't skip files that
are up to date.

Another thing is we had trouble with scripts that were removed from
our svn getting left in users installation directories (then users
reporting bugs), so the scripts install dir is cleared on each 'make
install'.

You can symlink scripts so you dont need t o run the install target as
Brecht mentioned.
documented here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/IDE_Configuration/Linux_CMake_QtCreator#Optimize_Rebuilds

This should work on any OS - not qt-creator specific.