[Bf-committers] "make install" with only the relevant files?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Feb 19 05:02:42 CET 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM,  <gonderici at plecxus.com> wrote:
> When I compile and install(via make install) after some changes, it
> seems like "make" is copying everything from scratch to the install
> location. Does anyone know a way to make it copy/update only the newly
> changes files in a way? It does not take a long time, but it would be
> nice if I can cut down on this copying deleting, since I mostly use my
> laptop for developing and cutting the battery usage is helpful.

I'm not sure if there is a solution to make it only update files,
probably cmake does not support it. I rarely need to run "make
install" though, for C/C++ code changes to the Blender binary it's not
needed, and for python scripts you can make a symlink to the scripts
directory. Only after svn updates or full rebuilds usually.

> I do not do much "make clean", since I iterate like everyone else. I
> make my changes then use mingw32-make to compile and then install.
>
> I used Cmake to create the mingw make files and the project under Win64.

Some other tips for faster rebuilds are to disable WITH_BUILDINFO, use
more threads than cores, and to try the ninja build system instead of
make.

Brecht.