[Bf-committers] Minimal Blender specs - 5 year old systems & OS

Morten Mikkelsen mikkelsen7 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 20:50:44 CET 2013

Just wanted to say though I'd like to make it a min. requirement for
blender to support pixel shaders
last I checked I wasn't kickin it with the Rockafellas :)

I also want to echo what campbell said that blender runs very well on sub
$500 systems which btw support pixel shaders.

I also want to point out that very few developers work on blender full-time
and let's face it less sexy work
like legacy platform support will most often end up in their hands.
Furthermore, Blender is expected to run on all new generations of OSes so
it seems only fair to me
that subsequently they'd phase out older OSes if there is a need to do so.
I know more about graphics than OSes though so whether or not this is the
case is not for me to say.

If they don't have the resources available to manage it then I feel we all
have to respect that.
As developers they also deserve time to work on features/functionality and
not get wrapped up in perpetual maintenance.

That being said if there is some special interest group that feels as
strongly about it as you do then
obviously, as was already said, could handle such a task.

I do like the idea as much as anyone that blender can be a path for anyone
and at any age to enter
the community and maybe even the industry eventually. However, not to the
extent that I'd be willing
to sacrifice functionality for higher end developers (in terms of abilities
as an artist). As long as that's not the case
I am on board with striving to serve more people. I guess it's a balance.
But ultimately I value features
and functionality over support for legacy hw.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Cheers,

Morten.