[Bf-committers] SDL2-based GUI toolkit for Blender (hewi)

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Sun Dec 15 23:29:37 CET 2013

On 12/15/2013 09:39 PM, Felipe Ferreira da Silva wrote:
> @Everybody,
>
> I just made the gitub repository, I'm calling it TableGUI. I only tested it
> on Linux, but I think there will be no problem on MacOS or Windows (making
> changes on the makefile, or course).
> Well, I solved the framebuffer blitting problem, so each widget is being
> rendered correctly.
>
> GitHub for TableGUI:
> https://github.com/FelipeFS/TableGUI
>
> You will require my library BasicUtils (contains some useful stuff like
> double-linked list):
> https://github.com/FelipeFS/BasicUtils
>
> Next steps:
> * Translate the SDL event loop (still there, but commented) to a GLFW event
> loop (easy task).
> * Find a good way to draw texts.
> * Translate the SDL drawing functions to OpenGL functions (all SDL stuff is
> still there, but commented).
> * Refactor all OpenGL parts, leaving only what is really necessary
> (K.I.S.S. principle).
>
> Considerations for the future:
> * Could css theming be a good choice? It would need a reader to call OpenGL
> functions according to the css instructions.
> * A XML theming system could be a choice, too.
> * No theming engine.
> * Looking some concepts of mobile applications at Dribbble.com for
> inspiration.
>
> Btw, SDL2 is not a considerable to be in the title of this thread.

Hi Felipe,

I just tried it on Debian Jessie... had to change the Makefile a bit:

http://pastebin.com/4W9dhSzP

For your next steps and future considerations... honestly I think to be
a GUI lib mimicking Blender you don't want to add lots of features
because it becomes bloat. And otherwise you can just pick Librocket and
sorts. I would just stick with doing exactly and only what the Blender
UI does.

I think one of the main success stories of Blender is because it is
simple. (And because Ton is testing releases on his old PPC mac to see
if they startup quick enough, does he still do that?)

Rg,

Arnaud

--
w: http://www.sphaero.org