[Bf-committers] SDL2-based GUI toolkit for Blender (hewi)

Felipe Ferreira da Silva felipefsdev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 21:26:13 CET 2013

@Hewi,
I have already switched to GLFW, and I liked it, but the only issue that
keeps me from make a github sooner is my lack of experience with OpenGL.
I'm having some troubles to blit from framebuffers to framebuffers. After
solving this, I will rewrite the drawing functions of each widget I made
using OpenGL primitives (from that point, I will make the github). Later,
find a good library for text rendering. If I get too desperate, I will use
Cairo (http://cairographics.org/) for post text rendering (get the FBO's
pixel data and render the text on it using Cairo).
I hope to finish this before the end of the year.

@Arnaud,
About Gtk... well, I am using it, for now. But, in cases like Blender, the
user (developer), need to know all the functions callbacks of Gtk if he/she
wants to create a plug-in/extension. Gtk has a bad design for extensibility
with script languages. I solved it. Add/Get/Set properties to/from widgets
requires a small bunch of functions:

Widget_SetInt(Widget, PropertyName, Value);
Widget_GetInt(Widget, PropertyName);
Widget_AddInt(Widget, PropertyName, Value);

This is used for any integer property that belongs to the widget. Easy to
make a callback for any script language.
And Qt... never go that way. Free, but only for free purposes. In my
opinion, I don't think Qt will survive having Gtk as competitor, only if it
were LGPL.

2013/12/12 <hewi at jupama.org>

> @Felipe Ferreira da Silva
>
> It is quite clear and confirmed that the GHOST wrapper for the OpenGL libs
> in blender should be replaced if you write a blender user interface (BUI)
> standalone.
>
> It is not clear and has not been decided yet on what library would be best
> to be used as replacement.  At this point there are two best alternatives:
> GLFW and SDL2.
>
> I would be very, very interested in any feedback you could provide
> regarding these wrapper libs and even more the code you have written to
> implement.  I am looking forward in greatest anticipation to the possible
> git-hub you are about to create.
>
> @Arnaud Loonstra
>
> I did not say the "libsdl2 are not the best replacement for GHOST", I
> wanted to point out "I heard these are not the best one's".
>

> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?315530-Separating-Blender-s-Data-Model-from-the-GUI&p=2529026&viewfull=1#post2529026
>
> I think we are working hard on getting first code submitted.  Two main
> things:
>
> - a full BUI separation needs a full code re-write, from scratch.  before
> you want to get into that, I have learned you should spend lots and lots
> of time planning and discussing unfortunately (about 80% of the time) .
> So it is normal for now you are getting lots of blah blah and not much
> boem boem, but we will get there.  The chase is better than the catch!
>
> - first developement steps in BUI layout: the interface planning
>

> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?319727-BUI-BlenderUserInterface&p=2533688&viewfull=1#post2533688
>
> first developement steps in the GHOST replacement: gitHub for implementing
> sdl2 planned by Felipe Ferreira da Silva
>
> (Felipe: do you have a guestimated date?)
>
> kindest regards
>
> Hewi

- Felipe Ferreira da Silva