[Bf-committers] SDL2-based GUI toolkit for Blender (just a suggestion)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 02:07:25 CET 2013

Ghost can be used separated from Blender, check the
"intern/ghost/test" which has a glx-gears type program for ghost and
another program that shows events (text drawing depends on blenfont
library).

That said - Using SDL or a similar library probably makes more sense
for most purposes.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Felipe Ferreira da Silva
<felipefsdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that Ghost cannot be sepparated from Blender without a lot of
> effort, and seeing how the developers itself saying how hard is to make
> changes on the layout, I wouldn't use it. Also, I do not know if I can
> create new "classes" of widgets with it.
>

> 2013/12/1 Arnaud Loonstra <arnaud at sphaero.org>
>
>> On 12/01/2013 10:12 AM, Felipe Ferreira da Silva wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > I'm using SDL2 for inputs and drawing. The widgets are drawn using the
>> > SDL_Texture, and I will put support to OpenGL widgets (just converting
>> the
>> > SDL_Texture of an widget to a OpenGL rendering and then back to
>> > SDL_Texture). I'm not even using the hardware accelerated option of SDL2,
>> > and the drawing is surprisingly fast.
>>
>> Have you considered using the Ghost library of Blender? I think that's
>> the lib Blender uses to draw everything. It's somewhat similar to GLUT I
>> think and it's possible to use it as standalone lib. From there on you
>> could mimic what Blender does?
>>
>> Arnaud.
>> --
>> w: http://www.sphaero.org