[Bf-committers] Blender on Windows - some thoughts about XP and32bit

Alexandr Kuznetsov kuzsasha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 16:58:53 CET 2013

Hi,

1) I fully agree that we should stop supporting XP officially. However,
we shouldn't use incompatible API calls for now.
The fact of the matter is that if someone has XP, they probably have
obsolete computer, which is at least 6 years old. For 3D graphics this
is more than a century. They won't able to run Cycles and other powerful
(but computationally expensive) tools. For this, old versions of Blender
will suffice.
(I'm installing XP right now. It seems SP3 will be required to run VS
2013 libs)
2)  I think we still should support 32 bit OSs. Many computers, even in
recent years , came preinstalled with them. If a computer has less than
4 GB of RAM (as many computers did in the past few years) manufactures
usually go with 32. There is almost no advantage to choose x64.
According to steam, there is about a quarter of os are 32bit.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
By dropping 32 bit OS, we just create a barrier to entry. How many
artists will reinstall all programs and copy documents just to try a
software?
However, I know myself  the pain of compiling extra libs.
3) MSVC 2008.
We should move to vs 2013 by 2.71. Right now, I can compile most of the
blender with VS 2013 with some VS 2008 libs (with VC 2008 installed).
I'm busy with upcoming final exams, so I didn't have much time to
compile all of the libs.
4)
Dependencies.
I think we should create a clear wiki page with all of the libs that
required for blender. It should include the version #s (it's hard to
search through commit logs) which are the same for all OSs. Plus, it
would really nice to have a build instructions and configurations. Right
now, some libs have instructions spread across svn.
5)
The plan looks good.

Best,
Alex