[Bf-committers] Steam-powered Blender

Jan Albartus albartus at home.nl
Wed Aug 28 14:36:17 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Some things concerning the actual publishing of Blender on Steam. I
don't know if this is to soon to discuss, but I think some of the issues
need to be tackled before Blender can appear on Steam.

Blender is available as 32-bit and 64-bit applications on various
platforms. I assume Steam has functionality to auto-detect and
downloading the correct Blender version for that. Using 64-bit versions
on a 64-bit platform is preferred.

The actual Publishing part of Blender onto the Steam store; I assume
Valve is willing to assist in this matter? Would Valve just take the zip
files from Blender.org after a new Blender has been released?

Besides the software itself, Steam also requires some artwork assets:

- Screen-shots: The Steam store page shows screenshots for the
application. 6 Blender screenshots can be found here;
http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/press/

- Application banner/graphic in different sizes: These graphics show up
on store pages, community pages and games library. I did some research
but could not find any specific information about sizes and formats. I
would assume these need to be prepared as well before Blender is put on
Steam. Maybe JP could provide some details. People can check out the
steam store to get a feeling how these images are used.

Regards,
Jan 'LOGAN' Albartus