[Bf-committers] Add-ons in Blender for commercial services

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Aug 28 10:23:12 CEST 2013

Hi Sam,

Good to hear they released the code.

I've been in contact with Otoy a couple of weeks ago, asking for when the source code would be released and trying to setup a good connection with them. That all went pleasant sofar. The Otoy developer confirmed to understand the GPL and according to him they found a nice solution for data transfer between a closed and open program in a license compatible way.

The first step we then take is to invite everyone to inspect this code well to confirm its compliancy. If needed, I can consult FSF for it as well.

The second step - which I already initiated - is to check with the Vray and Arnold teams if they would be interested to use a similar or the same API - they might be willing to join efforts on supporting that well. We probably use a mailinglist on blender.org for that.

If all this goes very smooth, we then can finally look into whether or not this code should be in our release. Such decisions depend on a lot of factors, but the main factor is that the stakeholders (the companies and users of this API) need to be involved and provide active support for this code.

For sofar what I think is "Blender Foundation" responsibility. Not a ball game, just matter of trying to find a good way to work together.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute