[Bf-committers] Steam-powered Blender

brookesy at internode.on.net brookesy at internode.on.net
Tue Aug 27 12:30:38 CEST 2013

 Hey Jan-Peter, can you talk to the guys about providing .blend files
for the DOTA2 character downloads here?

 http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

 This would expose the community since blender can't natively import
.fbx or .ma files and .smd are limiting.

 Cheers,
 - Abe

 On Tue 27/08/13 5:51 PM , Jan-Peter Ewert janpeter at valvesoftware.com
sent:
 Hi Ton,

 Yes, I am willing to pick that up to the degree that I am able to,
since I am not an engineer. Sorry for being silent for a while,
preparing and doing GDC and Gamescom took up a lot of resources.

 As for requirements, my feeling is that the first step is to get a
version of Blender out there that makes people on Steam aware what
Blender can do for them at the moment. I was thinking of publishing
the current version with io plugins for Source, Unreal and Unity.

 As for devs, I have already received some very encouraging feedback
from people on this list that I have not yet found the time to get
back to, but you are right that we should absolutely push to get
people from Steam that are not yet Blender developers on board.

 Best, Jan